Thursday, June 9, 2011

It's just a backpack...

Summer vacation started a few days ago, and yet I still have Jackson's backpack hanging in my kitchen... his dirty, torn, and put together with duct-tape backpack. I have been waiting for the past couple of weeks for school to be over so I could throw this thing into the dumpster where it belongs. But for some reason, I can't seem to let it go.

I'm not usually the sentimental type. I don't keep every picture my kids ever made me, and I don't plan to keep every tooth they lose. In fact I usually don't have any trouble throwing things away. So what is it about this backpack?

I think to me, this backpack represents Jackson growing from a little guy into a big guy. We've gotten a lot of life out of this bag (and it's not even a Jansport!) You see, Jackson has never gone to school without this blue, green and black piece of fabric. He used it for three-year-old preschool, four-year-old preschool and Kindergarten (Can you tell we are dutch?).

Here is the backpack's first appearance in our photos, taken on Jackson's first day of preschool...


and here is it's last, taken on his last day of kindergarten .

No, I'm not going to try and get one more year out of this raggedy thing, but I'm not going to dump it either. I'm going to hang it in the back of Jackson's closet and someday down the road, I'll pull it out and remember the days when I had a little guy. When I see that backpack I'll remember this:


But for now I'll enjoy (or try to enjoy) every second with my not-so-little guy... the one who is reading, doing math problems, and learning Bible verses better than I ever could have hoped. We got Jackson's report card this week and he did awesome!! We are extremely proud. There's only one thing he needs to work on.... working without disturbing others. Yep! That sounds like my guy!!

I know it's just a backpack, but to me, it's a symbol of my precious Jackson becoming everything God wants him to be... and that's priceless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is just like his Aunt....I remember always getting a minus for working without disturbing others :) I'm so proud to have you as my nephew Jackson. You may be growing up but I love the fact that even though you can easily say Julie you still call me JuJu

Aunt JuJu

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a backpack belonging to my special grandson Jackson! Katie you express feelings so precisely... making those who read your entries the chance to "really see your heart". You are a wonderful Mom and Jackson is simply amazing! I totally loved the photos you posted... the backpack looks "so big" on the preschool Jackson ...and "Jackson looks so big" in the last day of kindergarten picture. Blessings and love always, Mom Z